You can check details of current and planned works on our full-screen roadworks map.
By default, the map shows works planned for today. You can use the box in the top-right corner to change from 'Today' to a different date or a range of dates.
You can also check our road closures and street works public notices.
Applying for works that affect public roads or rights of way
Use the application form below for work that will require one or more of the following:
- temporary closure of a public highway
- temporary closure of a public right of way
- suspension of one or more bus stop
- suspension of a parking restriction
- suspension of a pedestrian crossing or cycle crossing
- relocation of a pedestrian crossing or cycle crossing
- suspension of permanent traffic signals
- temporary traffic signals on a public highway
- portable 2-stage traffic signals on a public highway
- portable 3-stage traffic signals on a public highway
- portable 4-stage traffic signals on a public highway
- a new haul route crossing
- a change to a haul route crossing
With the exception of emergency orders, all requests must be submitted at least 8 weeks before the start date or works.
Temporary traffic regulation costs from April 2023 are:
- Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) – £1,540
- Emergency Temporary Traffic Regulation Notice (TTRN) – £880
If you wish to put some equipment ('apparatus') connected with digging into a public road on the street, you must apply for a street works licence.
Other works that require a permit or licence
The table below links to details for each permit and licence type.
|Permit or licence type||When it's required|
|Street parties||If you wish to organise a street party you won't need a licence but may need to consult and make arrangements|
|Installations over the highway||If you to install any object over a public highway|
|Licence for projections over a highway||If you wish to construct a bridge or building over a public road, or alter such a construction|
|Skip permit||If you wish to put a skip on a public road|
|Street trading consent||If you wish to sell, expose or offer for sale any article or living thing in a street|
|Pavement tables and chairs||If you wish to place tables, chairs or other temporary furniture on the pavement|