The apprenticeship levy is a payment the government requires from UK employers to fund new apprenticeships. It is charged at the rate of 0.5% of an employer's pay bill. Employers receive an allowance of £15,000 to offset against their levy payment.
As an employer, Thurrock Council pays the apprenticeship levy. Government rules allow us to transfer up to 25% of our levy funds to support other employers to improve the skills and knowledge of the local workforce through apprenticeships.
Employers can use this funding either for new apprentices or for current employees who undertake a new apprenticeship. Funds can be used towards training and assessment to meet apprenticeship standards. Funds cannot be used for apprentices that have already started their apprenticeship.
Advice and support
For information on employing an apprentice, funding for apprenticeships, and incentive payments available, go to GOV.UK: Apprenticeships.
The Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education can help you search the range of apprenticeships available and find local organisations to provide training.
Who can apply for funding
To apply for funding from our apprenticeship levy, employers must:
- be registered on the apprenticeship service – go to GOV.UK: How to register and use the apprenticeship service as an employer
- have set-up an agreement with the ESFA as part of registering for the apprenticeship service
- be based in Thurrock
If you need help with registering for the apprenticeship service, or advice and support to start an apprenticeship, contact the National Apprenticeship Helpdesk.
How to apply for funding
You can apply by completing the online form below.
When applying, you will need to provide:
- the name and level of the apprenticeship standard
- how many apprenticeships you're offering
- details of your apprenticeship training provider
- the cost of training, including end point assessment
- the expected start date
- a copy of your employer and public liability insurance certificate
We will let you know whether your application has been successful. Any offer we make is subject to the apprentice starting during a given period to be agreed mutually.