The Child Death Overview Panel is responsible for reviewing the deaths of any children normally resident in Southend, Essex and Thurrock (SET) local authority areas, whether from natural, unnatural, known or unknown causes, at home, in hospital or in the community.
The purpose of the review is to:
- reduce the number of childhood deaths
- identify matters of concern affecting the safety and welfare of children
- identify wider public health or safety concerns arising from a particular death or from a pattern of deaths
- undertake a co-ordinated agency response to all unexpected deaths of children
Agencies should make a notification to the SET Child Death Review Manager, via their nominated Child Death Review lead, is they become aware of:
- a child death occurring in Essex
- a death of a normally-resident Essex child occurring elsewhere
Go to the Essex Safeguarding Children: child death reviews web page for guidance and forms for professionals.