Households on low income can get council tax support. The local council tax scheme is paid for from our funds, not by central government.
The main points of the 2017/18 local council tax support scheme are:
- all working-age claimants must pay a minimum of at least 25% of their council tax themselves
- working-age people with more than £6,000 in savings are not entitled to claim local council tax support
- £25 per week of all earned income is fully disregarded when we work out entitlement
- war pension income for disablement or bereavement is fully disregarded
- Disability Living Allowance income is fully disregarded
- local council tax support can be backdated for 1 calendar month only
- you are not entitled to support if you are absent from the UK for 4 weeks or more
- in most cases, a maximum of 2 children will be taken into account when we work out entitlement, even if there are 3 or more children in the household
You can download the full scheme below.