Deaths, burials and cremations

Tell us once

When someone has died, there are lots of things that need to be done at a time when you probably least feel like doing them.

Tell Us Once is voluntary to use and very helpful. It enables you to report a death only once, telling central and local government services securely and confidentially without you having to inform them individually. Many services can be notified, including all those listed below.

Organisation Use
Local council To update services such as council housing, Housing Benefit, Council Tax, Blue Badge and remove the person from the electoral register
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) To deal with personal tax and to update regarding Child Benefit and Tax Credits claims – contact HMRC separately for business taxes, like VAT
Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) To update benefits information – for example, State Pension, Universal Credit
Passport Office To cancel a British passport
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) To cancel a driving licence and to remove registered keeper details, possibly for up to 5 vehicles
Public Sector or Armed Forces Pension Schemes To update pension records

How to use the service

After you register the death with us, if the registration is face-to-face, we will complete the Tell Us Once service with you at the same time.

If registration is not face-to-face, we will give you a unique Tell Us Once reference number. This will enable you to access the service online at GOV.UK: Tell Us Once – reporting a death.

If you have been issued with a Coroners Fact of Death (Interim Death Certificate), you may still be able to use the service. We will advise you how to do this.

Before you use Tell Us Once

Before using Tell Us Once, it will help you to have the following information about the person:

  • date of birth
  • address of the deceased
  • National Insurance number
  • driving licence number
  • vehicle registration number
  • passport number

You will also need:

  • details of any benefits or entitlements they were receiving – for example, State Pension, Universal Credit
  • details of any local council services they were receiving – for example, adult social care, Blue Badge, travel pass
  • the name and address of their next of kin
  • the name and address of any surviving spouse or civil partner
  • the name, address and contact details of the person or company dealing with their estate – property, belongings and money – known as their 'executor' or 'administrator'
  • details of any public sector or armed forces pension schemes they were getting or paying into

You'll need permission from the next of kin, executor, administrator and anyone who was claiming benefits or entitlements jointly with the person who died, before you give their details.

After you use Tell Us Once

There's no need for follow-up contact after you have used Tell Us Once, unless you don't receive a confirmation from the relevant department after a reasonable period of time. In most cases this is a calendar month.

Once the various organisations have received notification of the death, they will make any further contact if necessary with the bereaved family.

Tell Us Once does not notify any commercial organisations of the death and cannot arrange for redirection of post.

More about the service

The video below has audio and subtitles. For a full transcript, read the video description at YouTube: Reporting a death using the Tell Us Once service.