Deaths, burials and cremations

What to do after someone dies

When someone has died there are lots of things that need to be done, at a time when you least feel like doing them.

Step by step guide

Go to GOV.UK: what to do when someone dies for a step-by-step guide to all the things that must be done – this includes getting a medical certificate, registering the death and arranging a funeral.

Tell us once

You may be able to use the government's Tell Us Once service to report a death to most government organisations and many council departments in one go.

Bereavement support

The death of a loved one can be among the most difficult moments that any of us will face in our lives, but help is available during times of bereavement. The following organisations offer advice and support.

Organisation Support

The NHS provides advice on coping with bereavement.

Go to NHS: grief after bereavement or loss.

Cruse Bereavement Care

Cruse Bereavement Care is a charity offering a range of support after the death of someone close.

Go to Cruse Bereavement Care: get support.


Mind, the mental health charity, offers bereavement support.

Go to Mind: bereavement.

Financial support

You may be able to get a Bereavement Support Payment from the government if your husband, wife or civil partner died in the last 21 months. You must claim within 3 months of your partner’s death to get the full amount. You can claim up to 21 months after their death but you’ll get fewer monthly payments.

Go to GOV.UK: Bereavement Support Payment.

You could get a Funeral Expenses Payment (also called a Funeral Payment) if you get certain benefits and need help to pay for a funeral you’re arranging.

Go to GOV.UK: Get help with funeral costs.