To apply for a hackney carriage or private hire driver's licence you need to submit:
- a completed application form
- a valid UK or EU driving licence
- a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) disclosure application
- if you have ever lived outside the UK for a period of more than 4 continuous weeks, a 'Certificate of Good Conduct' from the relevant embassy
- a recent colour passport photograph
- a valid passport or birth certificate
- evidence of national insurance number
- a utility bill that is less than 3 months old
- the DriveTech information fair processing declaration, to let us check your licence with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) through DriveTech
- the application fee
Before a licence is issued you’ll also need to supply:
- a valid medical report
- a PATS certificate
Where to apply
To submit an application, you will need to make an appointment with our licensing department.
For details of the application fee payable, go to taxi fees.
Processing and timescales
Although we are dependent on other agencies providing us with information, we aim to determine your application within 6 to 8 weeks of a complete application being received. If your application is delayed due to convictions or if you fail the knowledge test, the process will take longer.