Before applying, you should read our information on the National Register of Taxi Licence Refusals and Revocations.
To apply for a hackney carriage or private hire driver's licence you need to submit:
- a completed application form
- a valid UK or EU driving licence
- if you have ever lived outside the UK for a period of more than 4 continuous weeks, a 'Certificate of Good Conduct' from the relevant embassy
- a recent colour passport photograph
- a valid passport or birth certificate
- evidence of national insurance number
- a utility bill that is less than 3 months-old
Before a licence is issued you’ll also need to:
- pay the application fee
- provide a valid medical report
- provide a Passenger Assistant Training Scheme (PATS) certificate
- complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) application online
- give consent to a DVLA check online
For details of the application fee payable, go to taxi fees.
Processing and timescales
Although we are dependent on other agencies providing us with information, we aim to determine your application within 6 to 8 weeks of a complete application being received. If your application is delayed due to convictions or if you fail the knowledge test, the process will take longer.