To apply to renew a hackney carriage or private hire driver's licence you need to submit:
- a completed application form
- a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) disclosure application, every third year
- if you have ever lived outside the UK for a period of more than 4 continuous weeks since being granted a licence, a ‘Certificate of Good Conduct’ from the relevant embassy
- a recent colour passport photograph, if your appearance has changed significantly
- a utility bill that is less than 3 months old
- the DriveTech information fair processing declaration, every third year, to let us check your licence with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) through DriveTech annually
- the application fee
- a valid medical report, every third year or in accordance with the age policy
You must also let us know of any changes in address, convictions or penalty points.
Where to apply
Contact our licensing department.
For details of the application fee payable, go to taxi fees.
Processing and timescales
Although we are dependent on other agencies providing us with information, we aim to determine your application within 6 to 8 weeks of a complete application being received. If your application is delayed due to convictions or if you fail the knowledge test, the process will take longer.