There are many health benefits to being active every day.
Staying active can:
- reduce your chance of getting conditions such as type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases
- improve your sleep
- help you maintain a healthy weight
- prove your quality of life
- reduce the symptoms of depression and anxiety
How much physical activity you need to stay healthy
Adults need to do 2 types of physical activity each week to stay healthy or to improve health:
- aerobic activity that gets you breathing harder and your heart beating faster
- strength exercise to make your muscles stronger
Exercise on referral
The 'exercise on referral' scheme is for people who can be helped by a programme of exercise to manage and improve their long-term conditions. The programme is provided at the Impulse Leisure centres in Thurrock.
The following long-term conditions can be improved:
- back pain
- cardiovascular disease
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD)
- mental health – low-level
- Parkinson's disease
The programme lasts 12 weeks, with exercise sessions held twice each week with qualified instructors.
Your GP can refer you to this programme by completing the referral form on our Thurrock Healthy Lifestyle Service page.
Help to get active
Contact Thurrock Healthy Lifestyle Service for help to get yourself off the sofa and into a more active healthy lifestyle. Support services are tailored to your physical abilities.