Houses in multiple occupation

Temporary exemption notices

You can apply for a temporary exemption notice (TEN) if you manage or control a house in multiple occupation (HMO) that currently requires a licence but you want to take steps so the property no longer needs to be licensed

Applications for a TEN must be made by the person who controls or manages the property – usually the owner or landlord – or their agent, using the form below. There is no application fee.

Apply for a temporary exemption notice

By applying, you:

  • declare the information submitted is true and complete to the best of your knowledge
  • understand that it is an offence to send us information you know to be false or misleading in connection with our functions under Parts 1 to 4 or 7 of the Housing Act 2004

We may ask you to give evidence of statements made in your application. If we find something relevant that you should have disclosed, or which was incorrectly stated or described, action will be taken. This may include revoking your TEN.

We will only issue a TEN in exceptional circumstances. No more than 2 TENs will be issued for a property – each TEN will last 3 months. At the end of the exemption period, your property must either no longer need a HMO licence, or you must apply immediately for a HMO licence.

It is a criminal offence to operate a licensable HMO without having either a licence or a TEN.

If we decide not to issue a TEN, we will immediately give you notice of:

  • our decision, along with our reasons and the date it was made
  • your right to appeal against our decision

You may appeal within 28 days of the date our decision was made. Appeals must be made to the residential property tribunal for the east of England. For more information, go to:

Register of temporary exemptions notices

The properties below have been granted temporary exemption notices.

Ref. Address of property Date first TEN was issued Date second TEN was issued
18/01038/HMOTE 88 Hogg Lane, Grays, RM17 5QT 3 October 2018 -
18/01085/HMOTE 27 Moss Bank, Meesons Lane, Grays, RM17 5EF 3 October 2018 -
18/01041/HMOTE 62 Argent Street, Grays, RM17 6PG 9 October 2018 -
18/01042/HMOTE 2 John Street, Grays, RM17 6ED 9 October 2018 -
18/01043/HMOTE 68 Salisbury Road, Grays, RM17 6DQ 9 October 2018 -
18/01045/HMOTE 22 Mill Lane, Grays, RM20 4YE 9 October 2018 -
18/01051/HMOTE 3 Grange Road, Grays, RM17 6RE 9 October 2018 -
18/01055/HMOTE 62 Bruces Wharf Road, Grays, RM17 6PF 9 October 2018 -
18/01059/HMOTE 2 Drapers Court, Grays, RM17 6BU 9 October 2018 -
18/01064/HMOTE 4 Bedford Road, Grays, RM17 6PY 9 October 2018 -
18/01060/HMOTE 7 Baton Close, Purfleet, RM19 1GW 9 October 2018 -
18/01062/HMOTE 28 Marine Court, Purfleet, RM19 1ZU 9 October 2018 -
18/01065/HMOTE 40 Draper Close, West Thurrock, RM20 4BJ 9 October 2018 -
18/01032/HMOTE 19 Flint Street, Chadwell St Mary, RM20 3HA 9 October 2018 -
18/01046/HMOTE 45 Ruskin Road, Chadwell St Mary, RM16 4HB 9 October 2018 -
18/01052/HMOTE 7 Leveson Road, Chadwell St Mary, RM16 4TB 9 October 2018 -
18/01058/HMOTE 80c Purfleet Road, Aveley, RM15 4DR 9 October 2018 -
18/10144/HMOTE 11 Garner Court, Tilbury, RM18 7BG 9 October 2018 -
18/01048/HMOTE 50 Garner Court, Tilbury, RM18 7BG 9 October 2018 -
18/01054/HMOTE 60 Church Road, Tilbury, RM18 7AJ 9 October 2018 -
18/01047/HMOTE 14A Civic Square, Tilbury, RM18 8AD 9 October 2018 -
18/01204/HMOTE 38 Church Road, Tilbury, RM18 7AJ 25 October 2018 -
18/01049/HMOTE 250 Long Lane, Stifford Clays, Grays, RM16 2QB 29 October 2018 -
18/01380/HMOTE 1 Kent Road, Grays, RM17 6DE 4 December 2018 -
18/01352/HMOTE 41 Hampden Road, Grays, RM17 5JN 4 December 2018 -