Houses in multiple occupation

Licensing for certain HMOs

Not every house in multiple occupation (HMO) needs to be licensed.

A licence is needed only for properties that:

  • are occupied by 5 or more people
  • have 2 or more households

Information on HMO licensing from GOV.UK:

HMO licensing in Thurrock

The licence is issued to a person or organisation. The licence is payable per property and cannot be transferred. A separate licence application is needed for each property – go to apply for a licence.

The licence lasts for 5 years unless there is a change in circumstances during this time. Any changes will need a new application and a new fee.

Go to fees and charges for the latest fee details – licence fees are reviewed regularly.

We can refuse to issue a licence if the applicant is not considered to be a fit and proper person.

It is an offence to operate a licensable HMO without the proper licence – prosecution may result in an unlimited fine, or we may issue a civil penalty notice up to £30,000.