Houses in multiple occupation

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Forum

We are hosting a HMO Forum meeting on Monday 5 December 2022, from 5:30pm to 9:30pm, at Aveley Community Hub, Recreation Ground, High Street, Aveley, South Ockendon, RM15 4BX.

There will be guest speakers from our planning, council tax, public health and housing teams, as well as a chance to speak with our HMO licensing team, colleagues and other landlords. This event is free to attend, with food and drink provided.

If you would like to attend, please let us know by emailing


A property is a house in multiple occupation (HMO) if both of the following apply:

  • at least 3 tenants live there, forming more than 1 household
  • you share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants

A 'household' is either a single person or members of the same family who live together. A family includes people who are:

  • married or living together – including people in same-sex relationships
  • relatives or half-relatives – for example, grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings
  • step-parents and step-children

Planning permission is needed for larger houses in multiple occupation. Landlords of a large HMO must meet certain standards and obligations.

Landlords need a licence for certain types of HMO – download our guide for landlords below.

You can find out more about HMOs from Shelter: houses in multiple occupation.

Report a house in multiple occupation

If you live in or near a property you think is being used as a HMO, and you're not sure whether we know about it, you can report it to us using the form below.

Report a House in Multiple Occupation