How to complain

Adult social care complaints

Our complaints process for adult social care has a single stage. You can make a complaint by email, phone or in writing.

Council complaints
Complaints, Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL

: 0800 021 3016


If you need help to make your complaint, you can appoint someone to deal with it on your behalf. If you don't have anyone to assist, let us know so we can help find someone independent to speak for you.

Stage 1

By law, we must resolve complaints about adult social care within 6 months.

Our policy, however, is to resolve complaints about adult social care within 20 working days for most complaints, and within 3 months for complex complaints.

Upon receiving your complaint, we will appoint an investigating officer to look into your concerns and send you a full response.

After stage 1

If you are not satisfied with the stage 1 response, you can refer your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman.

Complaints that involve more than one service

Sometimes complaints will cross boundaries between our social care services and those provided by the NHS. In these cases, a lead organisation will be appointed by joint arrangement to oversee the investigation and send you a full response.

Complaints about service providers

If your complaint is about an organisation we've commissioned to provide a service, you should:

  • tell the organisation that provides the service
  • tell them as soon as possible
  • give them a chance to put it right

If the problem is not fixed, you can make a complaint to us using the process above.