Building regulations and guidance

Building notice submission guidance

Please read the points below before completing a building notice submission:

  • the applicant is the person on whose behalf the work is being carried out - for example, the building's owner
  • one copy of this notice should be completed and submitted
  • a building notice can only be used on single family dwellings, except where the work is a new building that fronts onto a private street
  • where proposals include the erection of a new building or extension, this notice must be accompanied by a block plan to a scale of not less than 1:1250 showing
    • the size and the position of the building, or building as extended, and its relationship to adjoining boundaries
    • the boundaries of the curtilage of the building, or the building as extended, and the size, position and use of every other building or proposed building within that curtilage
    • the width and position of any street on or within the boundaries of the curtilage of the building or the building as extended
    • the provision to be made for the drainage of the building or extension
    • where it is proposed to erect the building or extension over a sewer or drain shown on the relative map of public sewers, the precautions to be taken in building over a sewer or drain
  • where proposals involve the insertion of insulating material into the cavity walls of a building, this notice must be accompanied by a statement as to:
    • whether or not the insulating material is approved by the British Board of Agrément or confirms to a British Standard specification
    • whether or not the installer is a person who is the subject of a British Standards Institution Certificate of Registration or has been approved by the British Board of Agrément for the insertion of that material
  • where proposals involve the provision of an unvented hot water storage system, the notice must be accompanied by:
    • the name, make, model and type of hot water storage system to be installed
    • the name of the body, if any which has approved or certified that the system is capable of performing in a way which satisfies the requirements of Part G of Schedule 1 to the Building Regulations 2000
    • the name of the body, if any which has issued any current registered operative identity card to the installer or proposed installer of the system
  • persons carrying out building work must give written notice of the commencement of the work at least two days beforehand
  • a single fee is usually payable to covers the costs of all anticipated site visits until satisfactory completion of the work
  • the fee may be reassessed if the number of site visits needed is substantially different from the number we initially confirm to you
  • where the proposed work is not be covered by the tables set our in our building control fees and charges, please contact us for an individual fee quote
  • in most cases owners and occupiers of premises are entitled to have their private foul and surface water drains and sewers connected to the public sewers, where available, and must give at least 21 days notice to do so

These notes are for general guidance only. Full particulars regarding the deposit of plans are contained in Regulation 14 of the Building Regulations 2000 and, in respect of fees, in the Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010.

Persons proposing to carry out building work or make a material change of use of a building are reminded that permission may be required under the Town and Country Planning Acts.

Building notices cease to have effect if work has not commenced within three years of the issue date.