Noise nuisance

Noise complaints

You can report the following:

  • neighbour noise, such as loud music, loud DIY, barking dogs
  • house and car alarms
  • loud construction and industry noise such as air conditioning and fans
  • entertainment noise, such as loud music from pubs and clubs

We are not able to deal with noise from road traffic.

If you are being disturbed by noise from racing vehicles you can raise concerns with Essex Police by dialling 101.

Making a complaint

Before making a complaint, try to resolve the problem by talking to the person responsible at a time when you don’t feel upset by the noise and when you believe it is safe to do so.

It may be helpful to keep a diary of noise 'events', noting the time and date and the type of noise nuisance caused. You can use this to show the person responsible what the problem is.

If speaking with the person and trying to resolve the problem in an informal way doesn’t work, you can report the noise to us.

Simply login to My Account for environmental reporting, select 'Add a report' and choose 'Noise' from the category list. You can create an account if you don't already have one.

My account - environmental reporting

Noise nuisance - out of hours reporting

: 07788 200 200

9pm to 2am, Friday night and Saturday night, and Sunday night when before a bank holiday Monday

Find out more about anti-social behaviour.

Complain to a magistrates court

If we cannot help, you can make a complaint to a magistrates court 

You will need:

  • the address you are complaining about
  • name of the person causing the noise
  • how often the noise occurs
  • how the noise is affecting you
  • the times you have asked the person to stop
  • a police statement
  • any supporting statements.

Contact Basildon Magistrates' Court for legal guidance and the Citizens Advice Bureau for legal advice and aid.