Special needs support for school-age children

Support for school-aged children

Some children will have special education needs (SEN) at some point during their school life. These might be temporary to permanent needs.

Children learn in different ways and can have different types or levels of SEN.

If you think your child has SEN or a disability, or you’re just worried about the progress they are making, you should talk with your child’s school. You can also talk with your doctor or the school nurse. They must tell you if they think your child has SEN or a disability, and should discuss with you what kind of support your child might need.

Support provided by schools

When a pupil is known to have SEN, their school must support the child’s learning by:

  • assessing their SEN
  • planning for their education
  • giving them the teaching and support that’s right for their needs
  • reviewing what works best for them to make good progress

Every school must have a qualified teacher as its Special Education Needs Coordinator (SENCO).

The SENCO will:

  • advise parents and carers on special education needs
  • work with other professionals that support parents and carers
  • provide specialist guidance to their school colleagues
  • make sure pupils with SEN get the support and high-quality teaching they need

For more details of support provided, go to: