We assess planning applications against government guidance and our own planning policies.
The government sets strict planning guidelines and regulations that we must follow.
Some areas are subject to strict controls, for example the green belt, conservation areas, areas of outstanding natural beauty and residential areas of special character.
In addition we have local planning objectives, which are:
- preserving local character - what makes a place what it is
- protecting the green belt and urban open spaces
- preserving and enhancing our historic areas and buildings
- improving design to make sure new buildings are of the highest architectural standard and look like they belong here
- making sure developments are sustainable by limiting traffic generation and other environmental damage such as flooding, and promoting greater energy efficiency
- giving the community an opportunity to participate in planning for its future