Building control for residential alterations

Party walls, boundary walls and excavations

You may have to notify all affected neighbours if you intend to carry out certain types of building work.

This includes work that involves one of the following:

  • building a free standing wall, or a wall of a building, up to or astride the boundary with a neighbouring property
  • work on an existing wall or structure shared with another property
  • excavating near a neighbouring building

If the work falls within the Party Wall etc Act 1996 you must notify all affected neighbours.

To find out more, go to the government's Party Wall etc Act 1996: guidance.