A building regulation application is needed for the conversion of a garage to a habitable room.
The following details must be included with the application:
- foundations to new walls
- ventilation, such as windows and trickle vents
- damp proof membrane to the existing floor
- thermal details
- fire protection and stopping
Planning consent may also be needed.
For a detached garage to be exempt from the building regulations it must be:
- less than 30 square metres in internal floor area
- not attached to any part of the house
- more than 1m away from a relevant boundary, or made of non-combustible material such as brick, block or pre-cast concrete if less than 1m away