Building control for residential alterations

Household extension

A building regulation application is needed for any habitable extension to an existing residential building.

Most houses are suitable for extending, as long as you have the space. When thinking about whether your house is suitable for extending, you should consider:

  • how you will access your extension
  • what effect your extension will have on the circulation in and around your home
  • what effect your extension will have on your existing house and garden
  • whether the extension would block out light from existing rooms, or make some rooms unusable
  • whether you will still be able to get into your garden
  • whether your house has an unusual construction – for example, prefabricated panels or concrete frame

If you can resolve all of these issues then your house may be suitable for extending. You can read detailed advice in our guide to extending your home:

You may also need planning permission.