Ceremonies and venues

Religious ceremonies for marriage

If you wish to be married in the Church of England or Church in Wales, you will first need to speak to the vicar. Generally you will be able to marry only in the parish where you or your partner reside.

If the vicar is able to marry you, he will arrange for the Banns to be called on the 3 Sundays before the day of your wedding, or for a common licence to be issued.

All marriages taking place in Thurrock are registered at Thurrock Register Office. You need to check your completed marriage schedule has been received by them so your marriage can be registered and you can request copies of your marriage certificate by paying the current fee.

Other places of religious worship

If you wish to marry by religious ceremony in any other place of religious worship, you should first see the minister or person in charge of marriages in the building. Again, one or both of you will normally have to reside in that registration district.

It is also necessary for both of you to give formal notice of marriage to the superintendent registrar of the district where you live, and a registrar may also need to be booked. The minister or person in charge of marriages in your chosen venue should be able to assist with what is required.

Registering a building of worship

If you wish to register a building of worship for use in religious marriage ceremonies, please contact us.

Thurrock Register Office – marriages and civil partnerships
Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL

: 01375 375 245

: register.office@thurrock.gov.uk

Opening hours:

  • Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm – all services
  • Saturday morning – ceremonies only

Our emergency out-of-hours contact service can be used for emergency marriages or civil partnerships for terminally ill residents.