Challenging how council services are run

Community right to challenge

By law, any of the following have a right to challenge how we deliver services:

  • a community or voluntary organisation
  • a parish council
  • a charitable trust or body
  • 2 or more employees of the council
  • any other person or body specified by the Secretary of State by regulations

They are allowed to submit an 'expression of interest' to take over the provision of a council service.

This is not the only way that you can express your views on how services are run. Find out more about how the council works and council consultations.

The information in this section is a summary of the 'right to challenge' and is intended to help you consider your expression of interest. If you want more detailed information, please read the government's Community right to challenge: statutory guidance.

The guidance explains which organisations are entitled to apply - referred to as 'relevant bodies'. Thurrock Council is a 'relevant authority' as described in the government guidance.