Vehicle theft and theft from vehicles make up almost a third of all reported crime.
To keep your vehicle safe:
- don't leave your car unattended with keys in the ignition
- always lock your car when filling up with petrol
- close car windows when you leave your car
- park in well lit areas and if you have a garage, use it
- fit an alarm, immobiliser or locking system
- always remove property from your car, especially satellite navigation systems, stereos and mobile phones
- never leave your car unattended while it's defrosting. Every winter thieves prey on motorists as they to warm up their cars
Thieves will commit burglary just for your car keys – never leave your car keys on display.
To keep you car safe:
- keep your keys secure and away from open windows and letter boxes
- install and use a burglar alarm
- start or join a Neighbourhood Watch group
Timer switches can give the impression someone is at home.
Theft of catalytic converters
Thieves target vehicles to steal their catalytic converters – part of the exhaust system – because they contain a high-value metal.
To find out more, go to Essex Police: theft of a vehicle.