Disabilities and sensory loss

Sight or hearing loss

We provide information and support to people who have sight loss, hearing loss or both.

You can also get lots of information on sight loss and hearing loss from the NHS – go to:

How we can help you

Deaf customers can get British Sign Language (BSL) support online and at our Civic Offices.

If you live in Thurrock and are aged 18 or over, we can carry out an assessment of your sensory loss to find out how we can help you. The assessment will be carried out in your home.

Depending on your needs, we may then provide:

  • social care support
  • mobility training
  • support to live independently at home
  • support with communication
  • advice on your environment
  • advice on lighting your home
  • equipment advice and demonstration
  • information on support from other agencies and voluntary groups
  • information on events and activities

We cannot offer you social care support until you have had an assessment.

The assessment is free, but there may a cost for some services or types of equipment that can be provided. Find out more about home adaptations and equipment.

Contact Thurrock First, below, to ask about getting an assessment.

Thurrock First

: 01375 511 000

: thurrock.first@thurrock.gov.uk

Main opening hours are Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm.

Limited service on Monday to Friday from 7am to 9am and 5pm to 7pm, and on weekends and bank holidays from 7am to 7pm.

Read more about Thurrock First.

Organisations that can help

These organisations may also offer support: