Housing rent and charges

Difficulties with your rent

If you fall behind with your rent, you will get a letter asking you to pay as soon as possible. We will contact you again if you do not respond to the letter.

Difficulties paying your rent

A rent officer will visit you at home to discuss your circumstances. They will be able to give you advice on benefits you may be entitled to.

You can also get independent debt and money advice.

If, despite this help, you don't try to bring your rent up to date then action will be taken to repossess your home.

Do not delay as the problem may get worse if you ignore it

If you cannot afford to pay your rent or fall behind with the payments, contact us as soon as possible.

Do not ignore letters from us about arrears – contact us so we can help you find solutions to your money problems.

We try to help vulnerable people who have difficulties paying their rent and have a joint protocol with our partners for dealing with rent arrears.

Contact us

Rents department
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL

: 01375 652 652

: rents@thurrock.gov.uk