How to claim a benefit

Proof you need to have

When you claim a benefit online you’ll be shown a list of evidence you must have to support your claim.

The list will tell you whether your evidence has to be an original document, or if it can be a photocopy.

How to send your proof to us

You can send proof to us either by posting it to us or bringing it to one of our offices. You don't need an appointment.

Don't send valuable items in the post, such as bank books or passports

Don't worry if you can't get the proof we need straight away. Let us know when you make your claim that you will be sending proof later. If you don't make the claim straight away you might lose money. If you can't get the proof within 2 or 3 weeks then let us know as we may be able to help you.

You can bring your documents to one of the public counters at our Civic Offices in New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL.

Thurrock Council Civic Offices
New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL

  • reception: 8am to 5:15pm, Monday to Thursday, and 8am to 4:45pm, Friday
  • public counters: 9am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday
  • office hours: 8:45am to 5:15pm, Monday to Thursday, and 8:45am to 4:45pm, Friday

Alternatively, you can bring documents to any library in Thurrock.

Fast tracking

If you provide all the documents when you make your claim, we will process your benefit claim by the next posting date.