It is illegal to dispose of commercial waste at Linford Household Waste and Recycling Centre.
Residents who wish to use a van, lorry or trailer to dispose of their household waste can apply for a permit to access the site, provided the vehicle weighs no more than 3.5 tonnes.
A permit is needed for use of:
- vehicles without side or rear windows – for example, a Transit van
- flatbed vehicles
- pickup-style vehicles
- sign-written vehicles
- large multi-purpose vehicles (MPVs) with seats removed
- vehicles towing a trailer
Vehicles weighing more than 3.5 tonnes are not allowed on site.
You can only apply for a permit if you pay council tax in Thurrock.
Only one permit is allowed for each household.
Types of permit
Thurrock council tax payers can apply for permits that allow either:
- a registered vehicle to visit the site up to 12 times in a 12-month period
- a hired vehicle to visit the site up to 2 times in a 7-day period – you must bring proof of hire along with your permit when visiting the site, and may make no more than 6 applications each year
Apply for a permit
Applications must be made online using the form below.
You must upload a clear photo, scanned image or electronic copy of document pages that prove you own the vehicle – for UK vehicles this would be either:
- the first and second pages of your V5 registration document
- a copy of your certificate of motor insurance
The uploaded images must clearly show your name, full address and vehicle details on the document.
For a 7-day permit you will also be asked to upload an image of your driving licence.
If you apply to use a company vehicle – such as a company van – you must upload an image of your driving licence and a letter from the company confirming they allow you to use it for taking household waste to the site. The letter must state the vehicle's make, model and registration.
All the words on uploaded images must be clear to read, otherwise you may be asked to apply again. Image formats can be JPG, JPEG, JPE, PDF, PNG, BMP or GIF. The maximum image size is 10MB.
You should allow 10 working days – week days, not including bank holidays – for processing and delivery of your permit, if you're eligible.
Renewals, replacements and vehicle changes
Permits cannot be renewed but when your permit expires you can apply for a new one.
You can apply to replace a lost permit, but only once each year. If you replace your vehicle, you should return your old permit to us so we can send you a replacement with the same number of visits left on it.