Linford Household Waste and Recycling Centre (the tip)

Permits for large vehicles or trailers

It is illegal to dispose of commercial waste at Linford Household Waste and Recycling Centre.

From 1 June 2023, you will not be allowed into the site at any time if your vehicle weighs more than 3.5 tonnes or is either a:

  • Ford Transit
  • Luton van
  • heavy goods vehicle (HGV)
  • flatbed lorry
  • tipper van
  • minibus
  • vehicle similar in size to any of the above

If you have any other kind of small van or a single-wheel axle trailer less than 1.8m (about 6ft), you must apply for a new permit allowing up to 6 visits each year if you wish to use the site after 31 May 2023. You can apply for your new permit from 15 May 2023.

You can only apply for a permit if you pay council tax in Thurrock.

Only one permit is allowed for each household.

Types of permit

Council tax payers in Thurrock can apply for permits that allow either:

  • a registered vehicle to visit the site up to 6 times in a 12-month period
  • a hired vehicle to visit the site up to 2 times in a 12-month period – this applies separately for each hirer's address in Thurrock, and you must bring proof of hire with your permit when visiting the site

Apply for a permit

Applications must be made online using the form below.

You must upload a clear photo, scanned image or electronic copy of document pages that prove you own the vehicle – for UK vehicles this would be either:

  • the first and second pages of your V5 registration document – you must provide both pages or your application may be rejected
  • a copy of your certificate of motor insurance

The uploaded images must clearly show your name, full address and vehicle details on the document.

For a 7-day permit you will also be asked to upload an image of your driving licence.

If you apply to use a company vehicle – such as a company van – you must upload an image of your driving licence and a letter from the company confirming they allow you to use it for taking household waste to the site. The letter must state the vehicle's make, model and registration.

All the words on uploaded images must be clear to read, otherwise you may be asked to apply again. Image formats can be JPG, JPEG, JPE, PDF, PNG, BMP or GIF. The maximum image size is 10MB.

Apply for a Household Waste and Recycling Centre permit

You should allow 14 working days – weekdays, not including bank holidays – for processing and delivery of your permit if you're eligible.

Renewals, replacements and vehicle changes

Permits cannot be renewed but when your permit expires you can apply for a new one.

You can apply to replace a lost permit, but only once each year. If you replace your vehicle, you should return your old permit to us so we can send you a replacement with the same number of visits left on it.

If you don't have a permit

You will not be allowed to dispose of waste at the site if you don't have a valid permit. We will suggest you use a local private-licensed site that would accept your waste and recycling.

It is illegal to dump waste anywhere other than a licensed tip – we prosecute anyone responsible for fly-tipping in Thurrock.

Our Trade Waste service can help your business with its commercial waste and recycling needs. We provide competitive prices for all services.