Mental health

Emergency help

If you or a person you care for is experiencing a mental health crisis, or is at risk of hurting themselves or someone else, call 999 or – if safe to do so – go to your nearest Accident and Emergency (A&E) service.

Ambulance and A&E services can deal with mental health emergencies as well as physical injuries.

999 services may send a police escort to assist the ambulance crew if you or they think it's necessary to be sure no-one comes to any harm.

If there is not an immediate risk, you can also contact the NHS by phoning 111. This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The person answering your call will be able to give you advice and help put you in touch with your local mental health service.

Accident and Emergency (A&E) services

If you need to see a mental health professional immediately you can go to your local Accident and Emergency (A&E) service, where a mental health crisis team or duty psychiatrist may be able to help.

They can:

  • prescribe emergency medication
  • conduct an assessment
  • arrange support for you to stay safely at home
  • admit you to hospital, if needed

Go to Mid and South Essex NHS: Accident and Emergency (A&E) services.