Parking permits

Resident parking permits

If you live in a controlled parking zones (CPZ) or permit parking area (PPA), you may be eligible for a permit to park in these places.

You may also be eligible to apply for short-stay visitor parking permits to enable your visitors' or trades persons' vehicles to park in the zone or area.

You can check lists of roads within each parking zone or area.

Types of residents' permit

A residents' permit allows you to park your vehicle either within the parking permit area, or in a permit holder's bay within the controlled parking zone, applicable to your permit. It also allows you to park in a shared use parking bay – this is a bay that can be used by parking permit holders and motorists who display a valid pay-and-display ticket.

A residents' permit for multiple business vehicles or fleet vehicles is only for residents who use a vehicle provided by their employer and may have to use a different vehicle each day.

A temporary resident permit is for residents who would be eligible for a residents' permit but who are not able to provide proof of vehicle ownership when applying.

Permit charges

Resident parking permits are issued for 1 year. The charges are as follows.

Permits Cost
​Parking permit for first resident in the household Free
​Parking permit for second resident in the household Free
​Parking permit for third resident in the household £75
Temporary permit £11

Apply for a resident parking permit

All permits issued from 29 March 2022 will be electronic permits online, not paper permits for display in your vehicle – read more about changes to how parking permits are issued.

Use our online My Account service to apply for a resident parking permit below. You can register to create a new account if you don't already have one.

My Account – parking permits

When you login, you will be shown:

  • Permits – a list of your electronic permits and their current status (older paper permits are not listed)
  • Permit Applications Available – a list of the types of parking permit for which you can apply.

For a new residents parking permit, go to the 'Permit Applications Available' table and use the 'Apply' button for the type of permit you need.

When applying for a new permit, you will be asked to upload images that show:

  • proof of residency – council tax bill, rent card, or a bank statement or utility bill from last 3 months
  • proof of vehicle ownership – for UK vehicles this would be a copy of your V5 registration document

If you use a company vehicle you should upload an image of a letter, on company headed paper, that shows the vehicle registration number and your name and address as an employee. This letter would be instead of the proof of vehicle ownership, but you must still provide a separate proof of residency.

You can upload images direct from your own computer or smartphone.

If you change address or use a courtesy car

If you're moving to a new property or have a courtesy car, you cannot apply for a resident parking permit until your vehicle registration document has been updated to show your new address.

While waiting for this to happen, you can apply for a temporary parking permit or a visitor parking permits using your solicitors' letter, tenancy agreement or courtesy car 'new keeper' slip as proof of address. You can use a visitor parking permit to park your own vehicle.