Who must pay council tax

Telephone scam warning

We have been made aware of a telephone scam in which a well-spoken caller falsely claims the government is re-banding properties for council tax, and asks for payment so an inspector can visit your property to carry out a survey.

If you receive a request like this you should end the call immediately. Do not make a payment or share bank or payment card details.

Council tax for couples

Married and unmarried couples are jointly responsible for the council tax on the property they live in

If you each own or rent a property you will be treated as having 1 main home to pay council tax on.

If no other adults live in the other property, we will still charge you the full council tax.

Deciding your main home

We are happy for you to decide what your ‘main residence’ is.

We will investigate if a couple who have a large property in Band H, but claim their main home is a small property in Band A.

Remember, you may have to provide proof of your sole or main residence.