Who must pay council tax

My Account council tax

Some online council tax services will not be available from 8am to midday on Wednesday 1 April. Services affected are council tax registration, council tax account view, council tax eBilling and council tax move – we apologise for any inconvenience. You can still pay your council tax online.

About council tax

Council tax must be paid for all properties.

Council tax is a local tax that councils must charge to help meet their costs. It covers about 27% of council’s costs. The rest comes from a variety of other sources.

Properties for which you may pay council tax include:

  • houses
  • flats
  • maisonettes
  • bungalows
  • mobile homes
  • houseboats

How council tax is worked out

You pay council tax for any property you live in, and you also pay council tax for unoccupied properties.

Every property in England, Wales and Scotland is given a band from A to H. The amount of council tax you have to pay depends on which band your property is in.

Apply online

You can apply for a single person discount, a vacant property discount or a refund by logging-in to My Account. You can create an account if you don't already have one.

My Account - council tax

Council tax forms

You can use the forms below to tell us when you change home or if you need to apply for a discount.