Changes to your circumstances affecting benefits

What can happen if you don't tell us

If we pay you too little benefit because you did not tell us about a change straightaway, you may lose your underpaid benefit arrears.

If you get more housing benefit or council tax support than you should because you did not tell us about a change in your circumstances straightaway, we can ask you to pay it back.

If you deliberately don't tell us about any change that affects your benefit, you may be prosecuted.

You must tell us separately, even if you reported the change to another government or council department and they told you they will do it for you.

You are responsible for telling us about any changes – don't rely on someone else to pass the message on.

If you're not sure, you should contact us.

Benefits section
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL