Changes to your circumstances affecting benefits

What you should tell us

You must tell us straight away if your circumstances change.

For example, you must tell us if:

  • any of your children leave school or college or leave home
  • anyone moves in or out of your home, including lodgers and subtenants
  • there are any changes in your or your partner's income or source of income – for example, starting or stopping to get a social security benefit, your earnings increase, your hours at work increase or decrease
  • your tax credits change, or you start or stop getting tax credits
  • a pension from a previous employer changes or you start to get a pension from a previous employer
  • the income of any adults or children living with you stops, starts or changes, including any benefits

It is also important that you let us know if:

  • your capital or savings change
  • you or anyone living with you becomes a student or stops being a student
  • you go on or stop being on a youth training scheme
  • you go into or leave hospital or a nursing home
  • you go into or come out of prison
  • you change or leave a job
  • your rent changes, but not if you are a council tenant
  • you move, including changing rooms in the same property
  • you or your partner are going to be away from home for 4 weeks or more
  • you or anyone living with you start work
  • you receive any decision from the Home Office

This is not a full list. If you are not sure, ask us for advice. We can also tell you whether your evidence has to be an original document, or if it can be a photocopy.

Remember, if you do not tell us when something important changes, it could affect your benefit and we might begin legal proceedings.

Benefits section
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL