Changes to your circumstances affecting council tax

Council tax and benefits – 21-24 January

From 8:45pm, Friday 21 January until 7:30am, Monday 24 January, due to essential maintenance our online services for council tax accounts and benefit applications will not be available. Please do not try to use these services during this time. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Council tax and rent payments

We are aware that some council tax and rent payments made since 31 December 2021 are not yet showing on accounts. We are working with our system providers to make sure all payments show correctly on residents' accounts as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

If your circumstances change

You must let us know of any changes to your circumstances that would affect your council tax billing. This includes any:

  • change of name
  • change of property address
  • change of billing address
  • change to the people in your household
  • change of property ownership – for example, if you are moving house

Changing address

Use our online My Account services to:

  • tell us if you are moving to Thurrock, or are a new occupier in Thurrock
  • tell us if you are moving home within Thurrock
  • tell us if you are moving away from Thurrock

Login to My Account below. You can create an account if you don't already have one.

My Account – council tax

You will need to tell us things like:

  • your name, address and contact details
  • your council tax account number
  • name of council tax payer
  • details of change

Other changes

You can also use My Account to:

  • update your details
  • apply for a single person discount
  • cancel a single person discount

My Account – council tax

To apply for other types of discount, go to our council tax discounts section.