Child sexual exploitation

Help and advice for young people

Child sexual exploitation is never OK – if it's happening to you or someone close to you, help is out there for you.

People you can tell, who will help you, include:

  • a teacher
  • your social worker, if you have one
  • the school nurse
  • your doctor
  • a police officer
  • a youth worker

If you can, talk to your parents, or your carer or a close member of your family.

Sometimes it is difficult to talk about personal problems like sex. Perhaps you think your parents or carer will be angry or upset, or you will get into trouble with the police. Even so, it's better to ask for help if you are unhappy about the way you're being treated by an older person.

There is always hope, so please don't feel abuse is your path in life. If you tell the right people they will help you to stop it.

Who you can call

If you're under 18 years-old, you can call ChildLine at any time to speak to a counsellor. Calls are free and confidential. You can also visit the ChildLine website, where they have online chat, email and message boards.


: 0800 1111

Child sexual exploitation is a crime – the police and social services will act to stop it happening.

If you think you are being abused or are worried about a friend, call Essex Police – they have specially trained people who can help stop the abuse.

Essex Police

: 101 - non-emergency calls

Call 999 in an emergency such as when a crime is in progress, a life is in danger or violence is being used or threatened.

You can also call our special team for children if you need confidential support and advice. You will be believed and you don't have to give your name.

Children's Services initial response
Multi-agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH), Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL

: 01375 652 802


Support on the web for young people

There are many other organisations that can help you. The following websites have a lot of information about child sexual exploitation, handling relationships online or relationship abuse: