Housing News is an email newsletter to keep tenants and leaseholders up-to-date with important information and news. To sign up, enter your email address for Thurrock Council email updates and select the subscription topic ‘Housing News' or all council updates.
We are required to consult you if we want to carry out major works on your property.
Consulting with leaseholders - the legal requirements
There are slightly different consultation methods depending on the type of arrangement we have with a contractor.
Some contracts such as small scale cyclical works, services and specialist works below certain values are tendered in the traditional manner. In these cases consultation is carried out in 2 or 3 stages.
More comprehensive and larger value works and services take longer to tender.
This is at pre-tender stage (that is before a contractor has been appointed). This notice gives:
- a general description of the proposed works
- the reasons for carrying out the proposed works
- you a period of 30 days to send written observations on the proposals
- you the opportunity to nominate a contractor. We will then ask the contractor to give an estimate provided the contract sum is below the threshold which require it to be tendered Europe-wide
We will consider and respond to all comments received at this stage.
This is the tender stage. We send you a Notice of Estimate which:
- gives the name and address of the proposed contractor
- gives details of any connection between the landlord and the contractor
- includes an estimate of your contribution to the proposed works and the works to your building
- includes a summary of any observations received at Stage 1, together with our response
- gives you a period of 30 days to send written observations on the proposals
Again, we will consider and respond to all comments received.
Awarding of contract. Stage 3 is only needed if the contract is awarded to a contractor who did not give the lowest price and was not the one nominated by leaseholders. This can sometimes occur with contractors who are part of a pre-existing framework agreement. We will write to you explaining our choice of contractor.