Household waste and recycling

Brown bin collections

Brown bin collections every 2 weeks will restart from Monday 8 March 2021. Collections have been suspended temporarily due to COVID-19 rates and the need for staff to self-isolate when advised.

Request a new bin

The property occupier is responsible for replacing damaged or stolen wheeled bins.

Costs are:

  • £36 for a new wheeled bin
  • £18.50 for a new wheeled bin if you are aged 60 or over
  • £18.50 for a new wheeled bin if you receive certain benefits – proof of entitlement will be needed

You can pay to have more than one blue or brown recycling bin for us to collect per property.

We will collect only one grey or green general waste bin per property.

Request online

You can ask for a new bin by using our online form below to report a damaged or missing bin. We will contact you to confirm details and take payment.

From 27 January 2021, you can make a report without being logged-in to My Account. If you do log-in to make a report, you will be able to check the progress of your report online.

Report a damaged or missing bin

We replace bins at no charge if they are damaged or lost as a result of our collection operations. Our full policy on replacement bins is below.