How much council tax you must pay

Payments online and by phone – 12 July

Due to essential maintenance from 10am to 1pm, Tuesday 12 July, we will not be able to take payments online or by phone. Please do not try to use these services during this time. We apologise for any inconvenience.

£150 energy bill rebate for council tax bands A to D

The government is providing a £150 one-off energy bills rebate for households in bands A to D, registered for council tax at 1 April 2022, except where the property is empty or a second home. For information on when and how you will receive the rebate, go to £150 energy bill rebate. To download the government's leaflet, go to your council tax bill explained.

Appeals against council tax banding

We do not set council tax bands for properties. The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) is responsible for setting council tax bands.

Making an appeal

To challenge your council tax band, you must complete a council tax proposal form. Go to GOV.UK: Council tax challenge form.

You can also contact the VOA below.

Valuation Office Agency
Durham Customer Service Centre, Wycliffe House, Green Lane, Durham, DH1 3UW

: 03000 501 501

Grounds for appeal

The grounds for appeal against your council tax banding include:

  • if there has been a material change in the value of the property – any big improvement that usually needs planning permission, in which case we will tell the Valuation Office the work is done
  • a material reduction because a part of the house has been knocked down – this can be a big change or adaptation that makes the home suitable for a physically disabled person, in which case an immediate change of band may be necessary

When you cannot appeal

You cannot appeal on the basis of:

  • a change in property values since 1991
  • temporary nuisances such as road works or minor changes in the area