Make a building control application

Regularisation application

Building work is considered unauthorised when carried out without building control approval. Where unauthorised works have been are carried out, the building owner may be prosecuted. Consent can still be sought, however, by applying for a regularisation certificate.

Regularisation applies only to works started on or after 11 November 1985.

A regularisation fee must be included with the submission. Regularisation fees are not subject to VAT.

Works may need to be exposed, removed and/or rectified to meet building regulations. Once works have been approved, a certificate of regularisation is issued.

Please read our regularisation application guidance.

You can complete a regularisation application form online, via the national Planning Portal:

Planning Portal – building control applications

You can also download a form below to print, complete and send by post.