Child protection

Assessing your child's needs

A social worker will make an initial assessment of your child's needs, in line with government guidance.

The police will be involved if it is thought that a crime may have been committed

We work with the Police Child Abuse Investigation Unit. This is made up of officers who have had special training to work with children and families. They don't wear uniforms.

Nothing will happen if social workers judge that your child does not need additional support. This can be when no evidence is found to support the concerns that have been reported.

You will be encouraged to use support services that can help if their assessment is that you or your child would benefit from extra support.

There will be a child protection investigation if their assessment is that your child is at risk of significant harm.