Child protection

The child protection investigation

A meeting involving social workers, the police and, where appropriate, other workers such as health professionals or the school who know your child, will decide how to investigate the concerns that have been reported.

If it is believed that your child has been injured or is in need of medical treatment, experienced doctors will need to do an examination. In most situations, you can come to the hospital with your child.


Your child may have an interview with a social worker and a police officer that is videoed. He or she will be asked to tell the interviewers in their own words what has happened to them. This interview is relaxed and takes place a specially designed room. It is videoed to limit the number of times your child has to speak to professionals.

If you don't give permission for an interview or a medical examination, the social workers must seek legal advice and can go to the courts.