Private tenants

Fair rent inspections

If you are a private tenant and you think you're paying too much rent, you can get an independent rent officer to inspect the property and set a fair rent.

The rent officer can register fair rents for most privately-owned residential accommodation if the tenancy started before 15 January 1989.

By law, the fair rent is the maximum rent that a landlord may charge.

Either the landlord or tenant can apply to the rent officer for a rent to be registered or they can apply jointly. There is no charge for this service.

Fair rents are set by the Valuation Office Agency, part of Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

To search the rent register or make an enquiry, go to Valuation Office Agency: Electronic Rent Register.