Private tenants

Eviction of private tenants

Most tenants will get a written notice to leave a property, even if they don’t have a written agreement to live there.

The usual notice period for most modern tenancies – called assured shorthold tenancies – is 2 months. Neither the tenant of landlord needs to give any reason to end the tenancy if they give formal notice.

Under certain circumstances there are special reasons, such as not paying the rent, that a landlord can give to end a tenancy early.

When the notice ends

Unless you are a lodger - you share some rooms with the landlord - you don't have to leave until the landlord gets a possession order from the court. If you are a lodger the landlord can just ask you to leave.

You might have to pay their court costs if your landlord takes you to court to get you to go.

If you get a letter or notice from your landlord asking you to leave, get advice straight away. You can get advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau:

Citizens Advice South Essex – Thurrock
The Beehive Voluntary and Community Resource Centre, High Street, Grays, RM17 6XP

: 0300 330 2101

Citizens Advice South Essex – Thurrock.

Stopping eviction

To stop being evicted find out if you can do anything (such as pay your back rent) to stop your landlord evicting you. if your landlord goes to court for a possession order, the court will contact you.

Remember: if your landlord has to go to court to evict you, you may have to pay their costs.

The government has some useful information on eviction.