Private tenants

Illegal eviction of private tenants

To evict you your landlord must follow the correct legal procedures.

Usually you will have the right not to be evicted from their home until the landlord has first obtained a formal possession order from the county court.

This order can only be enforced by a bailiff appointed by the court. In general, you will first get some form of written notice from the landlord telling you that the tenancy is to end. Usually this notice period is 2 months.

Unless you leave the accommodation voluntarily, the landlord will then apply to the County Court for a possession order.

If your landlord is threatening to evict you, contact the local Citizens Advice Bureau and speak to advisers who will be able to tell you about the rights you have to remain in your home:

Citizens Advice South Essex – Thurrock
The Beehive Voluntary and Community Resource Centre, High Street, Grays, RM17 6XP

: 0300 330 2101

Citizens Advice South Essex – Thurrock.

It is a criminal offence for anyone to evict a tenant without following the correct legal procedure. It is also a criminal offence for a landlord, agent or any person to harass a tenant with the aim of making them leave their home.

If you believe that you are being harassed or have been illegally evicted, please contact the Private Housing Service:

Private Housing service
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL


We will investigate your complaint and advise of the action required, we may also try to resolve the dispute between you and your landlord if this seems appropriate.