Private tenants

Harassment of private tenants

It is against the law for a landlord to do anything which interferes with your peace and comfort.

Some of the following actions by a landlord or agent could be considered harassment:

  • using threats to get you to leave your accommodation
  • attempting to force you to leave your home or locking you out
  • cutting off gas, electric or water supplies
  • anti-social behaviour by landlord or his agent, such as creating unnecessary loud noise
  • persistently disturbing you in your accommodation.  
  • the landlord, his agent or workmen entering your home without notice or permission
  • using or taking your belongings without permission
  • giving you notice

If your landlord is doing any of these things or any other action which is making you leave your home, contact the Private Housing Service or the Citizens Advice Bureau:

Private Housing service
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL


Citizens Advice South Essex – Thurrock
The Beehive Voluntary and Community Resource Centre, High Street, Grays, RM17 6XP

: 0300 330 2101

Citizens Advice South Essex – Thurrock.

Officers will check your complaints and normally contact the landlord to try to solve the dispute.

If the issues can not be resolved or there is enough evidence to show that an offence has been committed, the council can prosecute.