Organisations across the UK are working together to help people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
By law, public organisations must tell us if they know a person in Thurrock is homeless or at risk of homelessness. This is called a 'Duty of Refer'. After referring a person to us, they work together with us to help the person improve their situation.
Duty to refer
From 1 October 2018, organisations that have a 'Duty to Refer' are:
- emergency departments
- hospital services that provide inpatient care
- Jobcentre Plus
- probation services, including community rehabilitation companies
- secure colleges
- secure training centres
- social services
- urgent treatment centres
- youth offender institutions
- youth offending teams
For a person to be referred to us, they must:
- be homeless or at risk of becoming homeless within 56 days (8 weeks)
- agree that you can share their details with us
Make a referral
If you work for one of the organisations listed above, you can make a referral to us by using the Housing Jigsaw online 'ALERT' service.
If you are unable to use the alert service, you can email us direct.