Council tax support

Local council tax support

Whether you own your own home or pay rent, you must pay council tax.

Find out about council tax and ways to pay council tax.

Households on low income can get council tax support, including those who receive:

  • income support
  • job seeker's allowance
  • employment support allowance
  • pension credit

Council tax support replaced council tax benefit in 2013 as part of the government's welfare reforms.

Claiming council tax support

If you think you may be entitled to council tax support you should complete a benefit claim. You should also read about proof you need to have and 'fast tracking' claims.

The quickest and easiest way to claim is online. You can make a claim using the application form below. You do not need to create an account to make a claim.

Claim housing benefit or council tax support

After you claim council tax support

After we have assessed your claim for council tax support, we will send you a letter in the post to let you know the outcome.

We cannot answer any questions about your claim until we've finished the assessment and you receive our letter, so please do not phone or email us to ask.

If you're entitled council tax support, you can check how much you'll get and when it will be deducted by using our online My Account council tax service.

You can register for My Account if you've not used it before.

My Account – council tax

You must tell us when there are changes to your circumstances.