Finding somewhere to live

Housing for new key workers

If you are a teacher, health worker or care worker – a 'key worker' profession – you may be eligible to apply for a place in shared accommodation during your first year of employment.

Who can apply

To apply for shared accommodation, you must be in a 'key worker' profession – examples include:

  • nurse
  • occupational therapist
  • physiotherapist
  • social worker
  • teacher

You must have an offer of new permanent employment from either Thurrock Council, the NHS or a school in Thurrock. Your new work must be within Thurrock or at Basildon and Thurrock University Hospital, either as a newly-qualified or junior frontline member of staff.

Within reason, you must be unable to access your own accommodation, and must be either:

  • a single person
  • a couple without children, where one or both partners are eligible

How to apply

You will be eligible to apply once you have been offered permanent employment.

You should discuss the scheme with your recruiting manager during the recruitment process – the manager may apply for a place on your behalf. A director or chief executive from the service must also give approval. Places are not guaranteed, however.

How much it costs

Costs will vary depending on the type of accommodation.

You may have to undergo a financial assessment before accommodation can be offered. You may also be asked to pay a deposit, which will vary depending on the accommodation offered.

Your employer may choose to help you with these costs as part of a relocation package – you should discuss this with your recruiting manager during the recruitment process.

You will be given accommodation for 1-year, but it may be possible to extend this period.