Householder planning applications

Application form sections

The "Household planning permission" form has several sections.

Applicant and agent

The applicant is probably the homeowner, but not necessarily. For instance, you might want to know if you can extend a house before you purchase it. In this case the applicant is the person thinking of buying the house.

The applicant's current address must be used in section 1 of the form. This can be different to the address of the property to be altered, which would be entered in section 4.

An agent is someone who acts on your behalf to seek planning permission. In this instance, all communications go through the agent. This could be the architect hired to do the plans.

You can find an agent through the internet, a personal referral, or from our list of accredited agents.

Describing the proposal

When describing the proposed works, you must list all the significant changes. It might be clearer to group some changes into one description. For example, rather than saying "replacing windows to dining room, kitchen, and master bedroom" you can say "replacement of three windows".

Your neighbours may rely on this description to understand what you are doing so it can be helpful to say "single storey extension to the north side" rather than just "extension".

If you've already started or finished the works, you'll need to put the relevant dates in the second part of section 3. We will change the description to "retention of..." if the works have been completed and to "retention and completion of..." if they've just been started.

You may need to answer some of the questions in section 5 if:

  • you want to drop a kerb
  • you want to create a new driveway
  • a public footpath crosses your land

If you have already been in contact with us about your proposal, put the name of the person you talked to in section 6.

Fill out section 7 if there are any trees that

  • may pose a hazard
  • might be harmed as a result of construction

If off-street parking will increase or decrease as a result of your proposal, complete section 8.

Complete section 9 if you are a council employee, or an elected official, or closely related to one.

Section 10 is about your finishing materials, such as painted render, red brick, and gravel dash. Windows and doors might be white-painted or cherry-stained timber or rosewood uPVC or black composite, for example, and roofing might be brown tiles or toughened glass or green GRP.

'Existing' asks for the materials on the existing house, even if your proposal is for a detached building.

Next page: certificates and declarations.