Householder planning applications

Certificates and declarations

You must provide an ownership certificate for every application form.


Certificate A is used when the applicant is the sole owner of the property. This is the most common type of certificate, and is also appropriate if a spouse or partner is named on the mortgage agreement.

The certificate must be signed by either the applicant or the agent, and then dated.

Certificate B is used when the applicant either:

  • is a part-owner of the land
  • is applying for works for a house they have not yet purchased
  • has owned the house for fewer than 21 days

In these cases, the law requires you to let the other relevant parties – other owners or seller – know you are submitting an application.

If you would like a pre-written notice – called 'Notice under Article 11' – that you can give to the other owners, you can use the Planning Portal: household development notice.

Certificates C and D are less commonly used. They are for cases in which the applicant is not the sole owner of the property and the relevant owners cannot be identified. You should use:

  • Certificate C – if you have notified some but not all of the owners
  • Certificate D – if you cannot notify any of the other owners

Since you cannot serve notice on the owners directly, the Notice under Article 11 must be published in the area's local newspaper no more than 21 days before the application is submitted.


This is needed for all applications – it certifies that the information you have submitted is accurate. Either the applicant or the agent must sign and date the declaration.

Next page: contact details and site visits.